There are several reasons that any of the TotalBoat Thixo thickened epoxy adhesive products might not dispense properly from the static mixing nozzle. Here are some of the most common dispensing problems and how to fix them:
- If the temperature of the material in the Thixo cartridge and the ambient air temperature are too cool, the material will not flow and dispense as expected. If this happens, warming the cartridge to 80-90°F should resolve the issue. TotalBoat Thixo Wood 2.0, TotalBoat Aluminum Boat Leak Sealer, and TotalBoat Thixo Flex may be susceptible to this issue.
- The components may have crystallized inside the Thixo cartridge, if not stored properly. If store in temperatures lower than recommended, the epoxy in the cartridge can crystallize and be difficult to dispense. Wearing disposable gloves, feel the disposed material. If it has small, grainy particles in it, it has been crystallized. To fix this issue, warm the Thixo cartridge to 120-150°F in a warming chamber, or place the cartridge in a plastic bag, seal it, and put the bag in a warm water bath. Change out the water as needed, until the material is returned to its original consistency and can be dispensed properly.
- Be sure you're using a caulking gun that's appropriate for the TotalBoat Thixo adhesive cartridge:
- TotalBoat Thixo Pro requires the Thixo Pro caulk gun, or another caulking gun that accepts the 450ml cartridge, and has sufficient mechanical advantage.
- All other Thixo adhesive cartridges should be used with a manual or electric caulking gun. DO NOT USE PNEUMATIC CAULK GUNS WITH TOTALBOAT THIXO PRODUCTS.
- The caulking gun's mechanical advantage must be a minimum of 10:1 or greater for all Thixo products. A mechanical advantage of 15:1 or greater is recommended for TotalBoat Thixo Flex, Thixo Wood 2.0 and TotalBoat Aluminum Boat Leak Sealer.
- All Thixo epoxy adhesive products except for Thixo Pro require caulk guns that allow the static mixing nozzle/tip to be off center to the Thixo cartridge. Thixo cartridges work will not work properly in caulking guns having only a small, centered hole for the mixing tip.